Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting Back End on server that doesn't have the Access app installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Folks,

This may be a "DOH!" question.

If an Access backend DB resides on a server and is set to automatically compact on close, will this occur if the MSAccess application is not installed on the server?

Thanks,
Vic

Shouldn't matter the location of the Application. The Access Application that has opened the db is the one that is compacting it. Is the backend data only? If so you might not save much by compacting it.

I could be mistaken but I think a file is only compacted on close if it is opened directly as opposed to indirectly through links.

But as bubba100 said, the Access application does the compacting. Acess is a "File Server" database or the client(s) run the database engine. Conversely Sql server on the other hand is a Database Server as the engine runs on the server and is an intermediate stop to the physical data on disk.

For Jet files or MDB's there is a tool that can be used to compact the database, Jetcomp.exe which could be used as a job to run on the server without installing Access (you would have to install the patch or whatever that includes it). I have not run accross the same for Accdb files / ACE engine but may exist.

Thanks folks.
This BackEnd/FrontEnd combo is an mdb using the Access 2002-2003 version. Yes the backend is data only. However, the original designer, (I subsequently inherited this ..., well, I won't categorize it.), created code that has led to much text being stored repeatedly. And subsequently, with constant updating of the records (monthly thru a file provided by the main employer), the backend grows.
At this time, converting up to an SQL backend is not on the table.
However, because this is a multi-user environment, and having read that trying to compact the backend in this environment can corrupt data, I like the idea of using the Jetcomp.exe as a scheduled job on the server after hours.
I will investigate what I need to accomplish this. Is it just downloading the Jetcomp.exe onto the server and setting up a schedule to run? Or might there be additional considerations/files required?

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Vic

This seems to have all the pieces for software and command line...

What is missing is something to first copy to a temporary / backup file and compact it to the production name (or rename after the fact but i like the idea of having a backup before compact). Depending on your backup strategy and timing you may want to keep a copy.

I'm not a scripting expert and I'll defer to the Windows Server forum... but it would be nice if you linked that thread here in case anyone is interested in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back