Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacting Access2000 Databases using JRO. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phooey

Programmer
Feb 14, 2000
GB
I have an Access2000 database developed using ADO and I'm trying to compact the database using code.&nbsp;&nbsp;The database has been split and it's the Back end which I'm trying to compact on exit.&nbsp;&nbsp;So far every piece of code I've used has resulted in: <font color=red>You currently have the database open</font>.(Longer error message but you get the idea).<br><br>No forms remain open and as far as I know, there is nothing using the back end database.<br><br>I've succeeded in this using a DAO database in Access97, but sadly the same code won't work in this instance, even with the relevant references.<br><br>Here is the code that I have used:(it fails during compact)<br><font color=blue>Function CompactDB()<br><br>Dim jetengine As JRO.jetengine<br>Dim fs As Object<br>Dim strSourceConnect As String<br>Dim strDestConnect As String<br>Dim strSourceDB As String<br>Dim strDestDB As String<br><br>'Build connection strings for SourceConnection and<br>'DestConnection arguments.<br>strSourceDB = &quot;'W:\Sep_Reps\SEPData.mdb'&quot;<br>strDestDB = &quot;'W:\Sep_Reps\SEPOld.mdb'&quot;<br><br>strSourceConnect = &quot;Data Source=&quot; & strSourceDB<br>strDestConnect = &quot;Data Source=&quot; & strDestDB & &quot;;&quot; & _<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False&quot;<br><br>Set jetengine = New JRO.jetengine<br>Set fs = CreateObject(&quot;Scripting.FileSystemObject&quot;)<br><br>'Compact the database specified by the strSourceDB<br>'to the name and path specified by strDestDB<br>If fs.FileExists(&quot;W:\Sep_Reps\SEPOld.mdb&quot;) Then<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;fs.DeleteFile (&quot;W:\Sep_Reps\SEPOld.mdb&quot;)<br>End If<br>jetengine.CompactDatabase strSourceConnect, strDestConnect<br><br>fs.copyfile &quot;W:\Sep_Reps\SEPOld.mdb&quot;, &quot;W:\Sep_Reps\SEPData.mdb&quot;, True<br><br>Set jetengine = Nothing<br>Set fs = Nothing<br><br>End Function<br></font><br><br>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your error says &quot;it's open&quot;.<br>Are you trying to compact the Backend &quot;_BE&quot; in the &quot;front end&quot;?<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Okay, I've sussed it now..!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Whereas Access97 would compact after a <font color=red>Docmd.close</font> command (so that no forms are open), Access2000 seems to be a little tighter and I finally succeeded after moving the code to the <font color=blue>On Unload</font> event of the last form to close.<br><br>Thanks anyway.

This was interesting if anyone is interested this is the code I use for compacting a database<br>Public Function CompactDatabase(strDatabaseName As String) As Boolean<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;On Error GoTo 0<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dim strPath As String<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dim strPath1 As String<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Save Paths for Database<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;strPath = &quot;c:\inetpub\ & strDatabaseName<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;strPath1 = &quot;c:\inetpub\ & &quot;BackupOf&quot; & strDatabaseName<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Repair Database<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;'&nbsp;&nbsp;DBEngine.RepairDatabase strPath<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Get Size of File Before Compacting<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;strPathSize = GetFileSize(strPath)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Kill the file if it exists<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Dir(strPath1) &lt;&gt; &quot;&quot; Then Kill strPath1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Compact Database to New Name<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DBEngine.CompactDatabase strPath, strPath1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;''Kill the file if it exists<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Dir(strPath) &lt;&gt; &quot;&quot; Then Kill strPath<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Compact back to original Name<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DBEngine.CompactDatabase strPath1, strPath<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Kill the file, no need to save it<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If Dir(strPath1) &lt;&gt; &quot;&quot; Then Kill strPath1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Get Size of File After Compacting<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;strPathSize2 = GetFileSize(strPath)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;CompactDatabase = True<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'Display the Summary<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;'&nbsp;&nbsp;MsgBox UCase(strDatabaseName) & &quot; compacted successfully.&quot; _<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;'&nbsp;&nbsp;& vbNewLine & vbNewLine & &quot;Size before compacting:&quot; & vbTab & strPathSize _<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;'&nbsp;&nbsp;& vbNewLine & &quot;Size after compacting:&quot; & vbTab & strPathSize2, vbInformation, &quot;Compact Successful&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Err_CompactDatabase:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Select Case err<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Case 0<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Case Else<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;MsgBox err & &quot;: &quot; & Error, vbCritical, &quot;CompactDatabase Error&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;End Select<br><br>Screen.MousePointer = vbNormal<br><br>End Function<br><br>

Thanks to both of you guys for the code examples for compacting.&nbsp;&nbsp;How is the programmatic version different (in terms of results & best use)from just setting the &quot;Compact on close&quot; option?&nbsp;&nbsp;

If using a split database, the compact on close option will only compact the front end.&nbsp;&nbsp;In most cases the front end will not contain any tables and so the size of the front end should not change, or any change in size will be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back