Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compacted database and screwed things up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
Without thinking, I compacted my database - and screwed things up! Compacting reset my autonumber seed back to 1! I know I've seen a method to "reseed" the autonumber field but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.....

Try:

Append one record, using an ID of one less that the number you want to start with, and then delete that record.

Max Hugen
Australia

against the table, you can specify the start number of an autonumber by typing the number you want into the format setting...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Should I mention that if the value of an AutoNumber is important then you are probably not using the AutoNumber field in a manner for which it was intended?

HTH RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

Thanks All!!!

Max - your suggestion was the one I was looking for - thank you!

Crowley - I had tried that previously but I found that it changed the autonumber value for all the records???

RuralGuy - I'm using the autonumber field to as part of a method to generate unique customer numbers. I'm open to suggestions if you have a better way.

Again, thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back