Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact ICS Flash ROM Card - software upgrade

dmcdream

Technical User
May 10, 2024
GB
Good evening chaps and chapesses -

Be this near or far, greetings from Belfast, Northern Ireland! I hope this post finds you all well.

I wanted to reach out to those of you, whom are aficionados when it comes to the Nortel/Norstar Compact ICS (CICS) telephony system. For those of us in the UK marketplace, the CICS system was marketed as the 'Compact Plus' PABX system. The Nortel branding was also rebadged to British Telecom (BT) - who remained the nation's 'universal service obligation provider', with regards to fields of voice and data comms - and their respective developmental evolution.

I was hoping to receive some straight-forward assistance, with regards to performing an update to the flash ROM firmware presently installed (and in service) on both my 'Compact Plus' and 'StarTalk 180' hardware.

The 2 Flash ROM Cards in use at present, are functioning with the following software/firmware releases:

• NT7B64KG - Central Control Unit (CCU)/Compact ICS - Software Release 4 [21-12-2004]
• NT5B78AD - StarTalk 180 - Software Release 2 on version 1.1 [01-06-1998]

The requirement to use a PCMCIA (USB) device connected to my PC is, I'm afraid, my sum knowledge concerning the process of completing a software upgrade.

Is anyone in a position to share (what would have been) the final (stable) flash ROM software images released for the UK marketplace?

Any support or guidance which can be afforded me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks In Advance,
Allan

I have a fair bit of UK Compact Plus on my FTP server Allan.

I recall that you need a different type of PCMCIA card known as a ATA version and that the software was loaded up via some "ELAN" software via a *,bin file for that particular software release.

I have all the software releases and I think "7" was the final release.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

7.1 was the final release for the CICS.

As noted above, 7.1 was the last release for the CICS (and MICS). All versions used linear flash cards. They were 4mb - 8mb depending upon the version.

The Norstar CallPilot used ATA type cards between 64mb - 128mb.

Not sure which type card the UK software used.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back