Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact and Repair Split Database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchemist

Programmer
Mar 2, 2009
US
I am running a split Access 2007 database(a BE desktop server and two FE laptops) at a non-profit food pantry. I have posted several questions here over the past few months about this database running quite slowly, but have up to now had little success at fixing the speed problem.

I have learned that running "Compact and Repair" on the BE database speeds things up dramatically for the entire split database.

Can someone explain to me the best way to run Compact and Repair on the BE database automatically at the end of each day? I have read that running Compact and Repair on one of the FE databases is not sufficient, and that I actually need to Compact and Repair the BE database periodically - preferably automatically. I understand that there is some sort of routine by Toney Toews that might work. Perhaps someone can tell me how to get it and how to use it.

Would someone please help me out here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you saw this from MicroSoft: Compact and repair a database
There is a chapter: Automatically compact and repair a database when it closes

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Thanks for the info., but unfortunately this article fails to discuss the difficulties of doing Compact the Repair on a SPLIT database. So, it doesn't really do me very much good.

Here is the code from MS community that compacts BE database form front-end one.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back