Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact and Repair Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

grande

Programmer
Feb 14, 2005
CA
Good idea or bad idea?
Pros/Cons/Comments/Rants?

I'd like to hear what you have to say about this sometimes useful, sometimes infuriating tool.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Dear grande,

I think that the frequency of this should be that of a BackUp! D A I L Y

Compacting is very important -- Especially with larger databases. Access NEVER deletes anything, only the record pointer. In otherwords, try this: Make a little-bitty database and close it. Look at the file size. Then load a boat-load of data into it and close it again. Note the huge file size. Then, delete all the stuff you loaded and close it. Note that the file size is still huge !

When I distribute apps to folks, I usually go to the options menu and check "Compact on Close" ... it will keep the file size reasonable, prevent future problems and make your app run faster.

Compacting is not to be taken lightly. It's a requirement.

Alan J. Volkert
Fleet Services
GE Commercial Finance Capital Solutions
(World's longest company title)
Eden Prairie, MN

from experience i get a backup prior to compact. on a number of occassions my databases have been messed up thanks to access getting somewhat confussed during the compacting process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back