Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compact and Repair Corrupting VBA window

Status
Not open for further replies.

suedemick

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
My database is split between a back end on a server and a front end that is downloaded to each desktop from a shared folder on the server. The front end is about 46MB in size. I have a copy of the front end that I use for designing, and I compact it before I make a copy of it and place it on the server for users to download to their PCs. I have 256MB of RAM, and I do not have any other applications open when I compact, so as not to hog memory.

Recently, my front end has developed a "quirk." I used to always compact from the menu, using the Tools/Utilities. However, the sometimes (not every time), the front end would not re-open after the compacting was through, and the blank, Access window would just stay there with no database reappearing. Task Master would say Access was running, but even if I waited forever (15-20 minutes), the database would never reappear, so I would eventually close Access and reopen the database. Everything would look and work fine until I tried to open VBA: when I clicked on the icon to open the VBA environment, nothing would happen. I would click again, and the VBA environment would open, but all that would be visible would be the code window, no Project Explorer, no Properties window. No matter what I tried, I could not get the Project Explorer, Properties Window, Immediate window, etc. to appear.

Eventually, I had to go back to an earlier version and recreate all the new work I had done since the last compact and repair.

Next, I tried to compact on close, in hopes that that might avoid the problem, but now I've just found that it compacts it, closes it, but when I go back in, the same problem sometimes, not always, occurs.

Does anyone know why this might be happening, and what can I do to prevent this?

Thanks! Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back