Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comp. freezes in all modes,trying to run selective startup/remove prog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITit

Instructor
Oct 15, 2002
US
I'm trying to remove a program -but first i have to get it out of the start-up sequence. I tried safe and normal mode, but after windows loads, it freezes up and i can't do anything (keyboard or mouse).
I can boot up fine, off the floppy or cdrom and i can run normal or safe mode, but in normal and safe mode, i haven't been able to keep the computer running long enough to enter msconfig and do a selective startup.
ANy ideas-batch files, automatic selective start-ups if it's possible, boot disks or use with bootable windows me cd.
Thanks.
-IT_it

Do I take it that the programme that you're trying to remove is, in your opinion, responsible for the freezing of the system, which in turn stops you from uninstalling the programme?

I'm surface thinking here, but can you edit in DOS? Not exactly sure where to look, but I'm thinking along the lines of changing something within the programme to stop it from running.

I'll have a ponder.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

You need to be a bit specific about the programme you want to delete.

On the face of it, it does not sound like a normal programme fault as it is unlikely a run-of-the-mill programme would launch in SAFE MODE, which you say you can access.

But, have you tried

START, RUN, MSCONFIG.EXE

It may get you to the screen you want a little bit quicker.

Good luck.

If we're talking 98, can you run scanreg (boot to dos prompt) & restore a registry backup from before problem started? (ie, if you know the program has been installed recently - then putting registry back before it was installed will remove any registry entries to start it). You can (re) move any entries in the startup folder in dos also (C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp, unless you're using profiles).

I've been battling with this question for a while now. If it's registry then try at command prompt

Scanreg /restore

That'll get you back to another registry which may not have the problem you have now.

I agree that it would be useful to know what programme you are trying to get reid of.
Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back