Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommVault versus Networker 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3h614

MIS
Aug 6, 2002
US
Anyone out there using/used CommVault.
We are currently using NetWorker 7.3.1 but are considering moving to CommVault.
I'm still learning about it but apparently it has no command line interface.

d3h614 - I am currently using Networker 7.2.1. We invited a vendor in to demonstrate CommVault. It looks impressvive. I did not see a command line interface.

I am looking at upgrading up to Networker 7.3.1. What has been your experience with 7.3.1?

amberlane - i would NOT upgrade to 7.3. We have had numerous problems - licensing problems are big - we've had problems with not being able to restart groups, not all devices show up in the new gui - our biggest problem now is staging. Our disk had filled up without staging to tape and I can't even get data staged using command line interface. I ended up formatting volumes and starting over. I;ll know tomorrow if disk fills up again and doesnt stage, we'll be moving to CommVault by months end.

I thought 7.0 and 7.2.1 were very stable. I wish I could go back to 7.2 but once you;re at 7.3 you can't go back.

Just to clarify one thing:

If you have good index and bootstrap backups you can always switch to a previous version.

We support both Networker & Commvault with many many support customers, and basically when asked what the difference is between them, its easy...

Networker is an Enterprise solution, Commvault isn't....

Commvault may one day become a backup solution that can support Enterprise Environments, but until then thats basically the answer.

do a search for v7.3 and you will see just how may headaches are out there in backup land.....v7.2.2 is a good workhorse and is still my preference...

i didnt mention, Commvault is a good backup solution, but if your backup env is large...then networker is your solution....

I like both.

To my opinion comvault is not as useful as networker.
for example the oracle rac (real application cluster) is not supported.
I observed difficulties with staging too.
Despite the Staging NW 7.3.1 looks pretty good !

Commvault 5.9 has a poor command line interface that was redone in 6.1. They are basically taking their existing software and adding a command line interface instead of having native commands from the start. So it will always be shaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back