Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommVault Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimpatsu

MIS
Jan 4, 2005
US
Has anyone taken CommVault training courses, and if so, are they worthwhile? I'm new to CommVault and it seems a bit complex. I'm contemplating classes but they are expensive and wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks,
Brian

I and my co-worker both went to commvault training. Is it worth it? yes. Though it may not seem so when you leave the class. Commvault does things quite differently from say Backup Exec and the terminology is different. Almost like speaking a different language. We actually went to the class before we really implemented it so for myself I didn't have alot to refer to. I would suggest playing with it for awhile prior to going and have an implementation contractor come in to help you with setting it all up when your going to put it into production. That will help alot.

I did some training with them in the NJ office. From what I understand, you WANT to go there for training, the have better resources avail there.

I'd say it was worth while to learn the CV way of doing backups if for nothing else. They do stuff very differently and it can be hard to understand at first. The class helped.

Ensure before you go to the training that everyone is at the same level and play around with the system for a while. We had never seen the product and had no idea what the trainers were talking about - its a whole new world of backups and you need to have your questions ready.

We ended up getting on-site one-on-one training specific to our system which was brilliant - it cost the same to get an engineer on site for one day as it did for the course and he could answer any question immediately

CV training is very informative and would be considered a must IMO if you are not familiar with the product. One of the gaps that 99% of all vendor based training does not fill (CV training included) is the space between integration and optimization which I often refer to as the transformation phase.

Environmental specific knowledge and expertise is required to fully leverage the product set based on your unique requirements. After attending formal training in OP for CV I would speculate that on your own this phase takes around 4 - 6 months. There are providers that offer Accelerator Services on-site that are intended to teach advanced management and optimization techniques, in essence a transfer of intellectual property as it relates to the technology and the environment.

As I have been on all sides of the IT circle: Help Desk Support, Administrator, NOC Support, Data Center architecture/integration, Consultant, my personal opinion is that the window between understanding and mastering the technology is where most training programs miss the point. The lab training just never quite measured up or translates back to the home base. It is excellent for core concepts such as the CTE, Storage Policies, iData's, Scheduling, etc. but never really cuts down to the best practices level and to take it a step further best practices as they relate to your environment.

Apologies for the ramble gents. Just my .02

I agree with the consensus. I went to Atlanta for CommVault Training. Without it, our installation and configuration would have been a disaster.
IMO, since it's so different from Backup Exec and the like, training should be a part of the purchase... and one that is well worth the couple grand paid (for the training).

I have just returned from a Lvl I & II course.
And YES it is worth it.
You can purchase the Quick ref. book, It is a great supplement to the course.

Yes I agree, the training is necessary.
One thing, I would take the level I first ( 3 days) and later the level II ( 3 days) instead of level I and II together ( 5 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back