Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commvault, looking to upgrade to Simpana 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blade1000

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2009
US
Hello-

Need to upgrade my Simpana to 8 from 7, don't have a admin guide for this.

Has anyone done this upgrade ? caveats involved?

Looking for admin guide online... can't find

thanks

blade

We just finished our 7.0 to 8.0 upgrade last night.

Alot depends on the iDAs you are running in your environment as to what precautions to take and what caveats to watch out for.

Would you care to tell us a little about the iDAs types you use?

As far as standard practices go for upgrades, send your DB to CV for a consistency check.

Make sure you e-mail licensing and let them know so that they can send an updated license.

Do not install from CD or DVD media you have gotten from them, rather go to their website and download the latest version of the ISO and install from there.

If you have made any registry changes for any reason to CommVault keys in the past, make sure you have them noted so that you can redo them as upgrades will wipe them out.

If you backup through a firewall, make copies of your FW* files, just in case.

Run the DB upgrade tool on your commserve, downloadable from their website, first.

Update CommServe, then media agents, then your clients.

Make sure after each upgrade of a different iDA that check for and download all updates via your CommCell and then apply them to the servers that need them.

If you have Oracle servers, make sure you stop all Oracle services before updating. Always reboot Oracle servers as well, even if your client does not indicate that a reboot is needed. Also always run a crosscheck before your run your first backup after upgrading Oracle.

If you have Exchange Mailbox iDAs and you do incremental backups, always run a full backup after the upgrade.

I think that pretty much covers the steps we took in our upgrades.

1 CommServe, 5 Media Agents, 120+ Windows client iDAs. Multiple Oracle, SQL, SharePoint, Exchange DB and Mailbox, Mailbox Archiver, File Archiver, Active Directory iDAs etc.

Oh 1 problem we did have was we were unable to restore pre-upgrade backups of our Exchange DBs after the upgrade. There is a registry key (something stupid like "AllowRestoreLegacyExDB" = 1) that will need to be applied.

1000 times thank you Cabraun!

I will find out about the iDAs and get back to you.....

blade

I had no issues to speak off when I upgraded from version 7.0-8.0. I don't have that that elaborate setup however since I only use the Idata agents for FS. I just upgraded the Commserve and then the Idata Agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back