Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommVault Galaxy Reovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vela

Technical User
Jun 16, 2004
US
Anyone here using the CommVault Glaxy Recovery software?

What do you think about it? Compared to Veritas?

Thanks

Ryan

I use CV - commvault has their pluses and minuses - Veritas has the market share - which means that most people in your position choose veritas. If you need something solid and proven go with Veritas - if you can withstand some shakiness every now and again go with CV

bk66md....gotta disagree with you there mate about most people choosing Veritas.

It's true that Veritas has the biggest market share but, from reports I've read they have been losing customers over the last few years due to EMC Legato and CommVault getting stronger.

Veritas made really good ground a few years ago in the enterprise space when there was limited options to choose from ie. Netbackup, Legato and TSM.

Most of the gains for Veritas have been through customer loyalty (takes a while to learn Netbackup) but, EMC Legato and CommVault have been increasing their market share through new business.

CommVault placed in the top tier of enterprise data protection (only 3 in there Veritas, EMC and CV) by Gartner within only a few years of CV being released commercially.

Only repeating what I've read in surveys, reports etc.

forgot to say.....

I've used ArcServe, Netbackup, BE and Legato and now CV and must admit i think CV is excellent.

Easier to configure,monitor, restores are simple and reporting is so much easier.

Just make sure you update often...it's built around Windows after all ;-)

Look at a few different choices and compare costs. How much do you want to spend and what features do you need? How much will you have to pay in licensing and support fees every year?

We use Veritas enterprise 5.1 mp5 right now.

Veritas is working well right now. We know how to use it and it does the job day in and out.

Anyone using CommVault to protect 500+ servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back