Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commvault and vmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapdoper

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
US
I would like to know if someone has implemented a backup solution using Commvault Galaxy in vmware. What's the best practice to do so? Is it best to install iDataagent in VM servers and back them up as regular clients? Do you run the backups from ESX service console, backing up .vmdk files? If you implement the second one can you do a file level recovery?

Thanks,

I'm running VMWare and MS Virtual Server. The best method so far has been to install the iDA on the instance itself and let it behave as any normal client would. I don't have any problems backing up this way. If you backup the actual hard disk file, you will only be able to recover that, not individual files within the session.

Hi JG5. Finally I found a way. Yes, I installed iDA in the ESX server and also created new subclient for the VMFS folder. In the properties of this subclient for the Pre/Post backup process Commvault trigers vmware-cmd utility to create .REDO logs so it can backup .vmdk files for the VM guests. Also for point in time file level recovery we installed iDA in the VM guests. The .vmdk files will be needed in case of a Disaster recovery so the whole VM guest can be recovered by restoring its .vmdk file. It's working pretty good so far.

Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back