Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communications error on host startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
GB

Hi people.

At our client's office, there is a LAN, which is going out to internet through Wingate 4.3 .
On two computers of the LAN they have PCAnywhere (One NT4 Server, one Win98).
Before the reconfiguration, the server (which was gateway) had the PC anywhere (ver. 10) for file transfers. through TCP/IP.

Now when I try to start the host (on the NT server), to wait for an ip connection, it gives me the following error:
Communications error, unable to attach to specified device. The same error goes for the win98 box.
I've configured Wingate pro for the default ports of pcanywhere, but it still doesn't start the host to wait for the connection.

Any clue for this?

Let me make sure I understand this. You get the error when you try to start the host service. Not when you try to connect to the host.

I know there is a problem with certain novell clients causing this error. I've never heard of it with WinGate. As a test can you remove wingate to see if that cures the problem. If it does, try using a newer version of wingate. Perhaps download the trial version of 5.0 and see if that fixes it.

Also, In PCAW, check the properties of the Host Item, make sure only TCP/IP is checked.

dankelt,

I did uninstall wingate client on the Win98 machine, and the host ran without problems. Then I made up a remote from the Nt4.0 server (which had the wingate client running on), and connected to the pcanywhere host (on the machine without the wingate client).
The moral of the story is that this wingate client (ver 4.3) somehow blocks the listening mechanism of pcanywhere host.

We will try to install and configure WinRoute for internet access, because, the clients need their computer to be accessed via IP from another place.

Thank you for the help, and if you (or somebody else) has ideas how to make the wingate client transparent for IP trasffic on ports 5631/2, comments are welcome.

Greetz,
Nikola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back