Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communication skills for techies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambent

Vendor
Dec 28, 2003
A2
I think everyone should have experience in explaining technical terms to ordinary users who know nothing about I.T. So how are you going to explain the following terms to say....the HR manager in your company?

1) Hard disk & Computer (they always mix them up!)
2) router/switch/firewall (they don't even have a chance to look at these things)
3) WLAN & 3G/3.5G (again they always mix them up)

1. The computer is the grey box under there desk (or on there desk). The hard disk is inside the computer and is where there MP3s and word docs are stored.

2. A router tells the computers how to talk to the web site they are looking for sort of like a traffic cop. A switch lets computers next to each other talk to each other and to the router which lets them get to the internet. A firewall in a computer is just like a firewall in a building or car. It stops people from getting into places they don't belong.

3. WLAN allows computers to use company network resources without being connected to the network. 3G network are highspeed cell phone networks which allow you to view videos on your cell phone.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

thread654-1324697

You might find this thread useful as well.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

I say you don't explain anything, if they're too stupid to use the words correctly and not take the time to see if they are using them correctly, then you shouldn't have to take the time to explain how they are using the words incorrectly.

Many would probably get mad at your attempt to correct them.

[monkey][snake] <.

Hard disks store data.
Computer is an empty box with bits in, including a HD.
A router tells data what route to take.
A switch is like a railway junction, moving the rails to direct traffic to the correct destination.
A firewall is a... virtual wall of fire which allows specified things through.

WLAN, well I think that was covered pretty well above :)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I use analogies a lot, as Grenage used in this post. Most people can relate to new stuff or things they don't understand quicker & with a better understanding if they can relate it to something they already know. I should be so lucky as to not have to explain some of this stuff to people who don't even belong behind a keyboard.

Jim C.

1) Hard disk & Computer (they always mix them up!)

>>The computer is like a human body...the hard disk is the stomach. It stores all the necessary programs that you need to function the rest of the computer.

2) router/switch/firewall (they don't even have a chance to look at these things)

>>Routers talk to other networks (like what HR does when it talks to vendors or clients)
>>Switches are like HR talk to the other employees
>>Firewalls are the more advance version of caller ID. Except your computer never rings.

3) WLAN & 3G/3.5G (again they always mix them up)
well denny got the best explaination.

LadySlinger said:
The computer is like a human body...the hard disk is the stomach. It stores all the necessary programs that you need to function the rest of the computer.

I love that one. Those are some tasty word docs. :)

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

if you have a preteen kid, explain it to them in a quick way which they understand. If you can do that, you are ready for most people. To train regular employees, practice on 10 year olds, for training bosses practice on 7 or 8 year olds they don't listen as well or as long.

I love that one. Those are some tasty word docs. :)

Thanks! I usually try to somehow associate human elements. For example one place I worked it still used WYSE 60 terminals (and D400). My boss wanted to know why they kept freezing up in the middle of taking customer information.
I basically told him:

"You know how when you drink a 7-11 slurpee too fast you get a brain freeze? Same idea. You send too much information at a faster pace than what can be handles and the terminal freezes"

:lol:

I like the anatomy comparison. My Mac used to eject its floppy disk to the sound of someone vomiting.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Not NULL-terminated yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back