Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communication between two vlans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2000
PK
hi
i am new to networks.i have cisco cat 2900 switch. i have created two vlans on my switch and add 4 ports to each vlan.now i understand they both don't communicate with each other due to vlans.
but i want to set communication between both these vlans.
can any one help me out.HOW is it done.

Maqsood AHmad

There are two methods.

1. If your switch and router support trunking (ISL or 802.1Q), configure your router interface to use subinterfaces on the FastEthernet port and then configure the proper encapsulation (ISL or 802.1Q). On the switch, configure a trunk port that matches the encapsulation you've chosen on the router. Your switch may only support ISL.

2. If you can't do trunking then you'll need a router with two ethernet interfaces. Configure an interface for each VLAN and then connect the interfaces to switchports. In other words, if router interface Ethernet0 is in VLAN1 and Ethernet1 is in VLAN2, then connect Ethernet0 to a port on the switch that is in VLAN1 and connect Ethernet1 to a port that is in VLAN2.

In either case, your devices should have the router IP address as their default gateway.

HTH,
John

Thanks for the reply . but i think i told you i am not using any router . i have just installed cisco switch in my small office & implement 3 Vlans 1 for my admin & 1 for my general user & 1 for accessable to every one like My server was on that Vlan.through that admin & general users has access to my server ( which is in different Vlan) but they don't have access to each other.
its mean.
Vlan 1 cannot access Vlan2
Vlan 2 cannot access Vlan1
Vlan 1 & 2 access Vlan3.
Once again.. No router is in place in that scenario

If you don't have a router then put all your devices in the same VLAN. If you can't do that then you need to get a router. How do you expect to be able to route traffic without a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back