Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communication between programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

darioars

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
DE
Hi folks!

I have two independent Microsoft Visual C++.net programs and I need some communication between them. I know I can use the "_pipe" function and make them "talk" by means of the standard output (once the pipe is open, one program would write into the stdout and the other one would read from it).

I would only like to know if I'm right and if there are any other possibilities to make programs communicate (sockets perhaps?). Do any of you have code samples of it? Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Darío.

I have used the WM_COPYDATA messages to communicate between programs.

-Chris (Consultant / Software Engineer)

Why don't you try with interprocess communication using File Mapping or some other means..with APIs like CreateFileMapping,MapViewofFile.. etc

All of protocols below you can use to communicate between applications:
1. RPC + RPC based protocols:
COM (COM based protocols are DCOM/OLE/COM+/ActiveX), CORBA
2. TCP + TCP based protocols:
RPC(TCP-RPC), SOAP (XML-RPC), HTTP and some additional protocols like FTP (file transfer oriented), SMTP (e-mail oriented)
3. UDP + UDP based protocols:
RPC(UDP-RPC), IPX and some additional protocols like TFTP (Trivial FTP), NFS (UDP-RPC based, file system oriented)

as well as the simpliest way to comunicate is using of files.

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

AIM: IonFilipski
filipski@excite.com

Thank you all, guys!!!

I'll start checking out all your proposals! But one more question: in your opinion, what's the one that best fits for a real-time application?

Regards,
Darío.

As far as my concern, i used File Mapping and Mutex. File Mapping is to communicate and share the data and mutex fo synchronization.

Venkatesh

use COM

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

AIM: IonFilipski
filipski@excite.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back