Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communicating with Aspect via Procomm DDE server

Status
Not open for further replies.

liebknecht

Programmer
Dec 16, 2001
SE
Hello.

I've got an application that starts Procomm with an Aspect script and then starts to communicate with the script via the Procomm DDE server. The communicated parameters are being sent from and to my application via the predefined global variables (S0-S9).

This solution is working well in Procomm 2 and Procomm 3 but when trying to use Procomm 4.8 it doesn't work at all when I'm having multiple script instances started. I believe this got something to do with the way all scripts seem to "fall in" to the same Procomm 4.8 process when they get started.

Now to my question:
Is it possible to communicate with individual script instances trough the Procomm DDE server when having multiple instances started?

If there is a solution please describe it. This problem is stopping me from uppgrading to Procomm 4.8. I know DDE is sometimes described as the "protocol from hell" ;-) but I'm forced to use it, at least for the nearest future.

Thanks.

My only experience with DDE was writing in Notepad, just to see if I could do it! So this is a guess.

Have you tried writing variables into the script code, just for testing purposes? I am wondering if the predefined variables are some sort of data source that can not be shared. Perhaps in earlier versions it was a flat file that multiple instances could have access to.

Good luck! Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

Bonjour!
try this scrip, I feed a big error on doc; use "pw5" other hise pw4

string szText
proc main
long LinkVar ; Variables containing DDE Id's.
clear
pause 2
if ddeinit LinkVar "pw5" "dde server.wax"

ddeadvise LinkVar "s0" szText
while 1
if $DDEADVISE
termmsg "input:"
termmsg szText
termmsg "`r`n"
endif
endwhile
else