Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Communicating between VLANs issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasilec

MIS
Jul 14, 2005
US

I have a device connected to one of my Switches/VLAN 1. It is called iProMOH (has something to do with playing music when on hold for the phone system)…doesn’t matter.
As long as my laptop is connected to the same switch I can communicate with this iProMOH device, I can pig it and so on….
As soon as I return to my desk, different switch/ VLAN 2 I can’t communicate with it and I can’t ping it anymore….But I can ping from my desk (VLAN 2) other devices (ex. WAPs, PCs) on switch/VLAN 1.
I am not a network guy but I need to get this fixed. What could be the problem? What am I doing wrong?
Thank you!!!

Please share with us the results of the following:

On the IProMOH:
ipconfig /all

On your laptop:
ipconfig /all

The analysis process follows these steps:
1 . Can the workstation communicate with any other device on the subnetwork?
If no, then go to step 2. If yes, determine if only the server is unreachable.
If only the server cannot be reached, this suggests a server problem. Confirm by doing step 2.
If other devices cannot be reached, this suggests a connectivity problem in the network. Confirm by doing step 3.
2 . Can other workstations communicate with the server?
If no, then most likely it is a server problem. Go to step 3.
If yes, then the problem is that the workstation is not communicating with the subnetwork. (This situation can be caused by workstation issues or a network issue with that specific station.)
3 . Can other workstations communicate with other network devices?
If no, then the problem is likely a network problem.
If yes, the problem is likely a server problem.

To me it sounds like your music on hold device is lacking a defined default gateway . Once you get off the same vlan you can't talk it . I have seen some real old devices that do not have a gateway and you had to either define a static arp entry or use proxy arp on the subnet. Check the gateway on the device and the subnet mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back