Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommScope Uniprise vs. Panduit NetKey and Leviton/Hubbell/etc Keystone

Status
Not open for further replies.

elturko

Technical User
Feb 23, 2003
US
I'm planning a cabling install for a local church and school that will consist of about 200 CAT6 runs. I have received proposals from local installers, and I'm looking for some input on the various brands/systems that have been proposed.

One of the vendors has proposed CommScope Uniprise. My only concern with this system is that the Uniprise jacks/wallplates are proprietary... you can't use another vendor's jack on a Uniprise wallplate or vice-versa.

Another vendor has proposed Panduit NetKey. I was initially against Panduit because of their proprietary connectors, but I understand the NetKey line uses more standard keystone jacks/plates. I assume that means a Hubbell or Leviton jack would fit in the plate, and vice-versa, correct?

Other vendors have proposed systems that use keystone components I know to be compatible across manufacturers, such as Hubbell, Leviton, ICC, etc. I have experience with these brands and know they are all interchangeable.

Should I be concerned with the more proprietary nature of the Uniprise system components, or is that a non-issue?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

If you have a specific preference to certain components spell them out for the contractors. That will avoid problems down the road for adds, moves, and changes, etc.

I understand the problem of using something different or "proprietary" that is not "standard" or compatible with other components. My preference is ICC jacks and hardware. It is compatible with Leviton and others. They make it easy when I need some flexibility, and Ortronics does NOT!

....JIM....

I have experience with these brands and know they are all interchangeable.

It sounds like you will be the "one" taking care of things when everyone is done and gone. Then stick to the ones you are comfortable with. Even standardize and make every install the same brands. Then theirs no guesswork when you go back to one of these locations to do your work. They are all the same.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Actually there isn't a "standard" as far as I know.
We use CommScope almost exclusively, but if I were starting over I would be tempted to go with Leviton because most cubicle bases will accomodate nothing else. I suspect that there isn't much difference in the ease of use.
Make sure though, that the contractors are using Cat 6 and not Cat5 terminations with your Cat 6 cable.
Good luck.

I have used Panduit for years. I've had plenty of problems with the keystone modules/plates not fitting without modification or popping out after install. I keep some Leviton modules for MACs but most everything I install is Panduit Mini-Com. Sturdy, fast terminations with TX style, reasonably priced and top quality.

Keystones are one of those "standards" that are not...

Wires, I have never used Panduit. I Googled them and come up with crimp connectors. Where can I look at and order telephone terminations?
I must say same thing about NetKey.
Are either compatible with CommScope or Leviton?
Thanks,
-Randy

Thanks for your replies! Yep, I'm the one who will be maintaining this, so I want to keep it easy for myself.

I have asked the vendor who proposed CommScope to also propose something using Panduit NetKey, Hubbell, Leviton, ICC, etc. as a comparison, and to explain any benefits they see to using one over the other.

I don't think there's anything *wrong* with CommScope, I'm just personally not familiar with it. And I've been burned being onsite at locations with proprietary stuff (Krone, older Panduit, Ortronics, etc.) and running all over town looking for the right parts/tools. If we do go with the CommScope, I'd just buy some spare parts, I guess!

Thanks again for your input. I'll share any additional info I get from the vendor, as well as which way I ultimately decide to go, in case that's helpful for others.

Just to clear this up a little, what I meant by "standardized, was just the same brands. If you put in the same cabling, with the same jacks, patch panels, wire management, racks. Then you don't walk into any surprises on anything you take care of. We maintain around 7000 network connections for a campus (around the same for in voice connections). It's a must to have the same thing in every building or it would be a nightmare to maintain.

So if you have a chance, "standardize" all your buildings.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I agree with mikeydidit, that is the way I "standardize" my installations, but I use hardware that has compatibilities with a similar brand like ICC and Leviton. In this case the jacks and patch panels are ICC. For plates and some mountings, I use ICC and Leviton. To go further, Leviton has a wider color selection of plates to fit specific client requirements that ICC does not.

....JIM....

Wires, I have never used Panduit. I Googled them and come up with crimp connectors. Where can I look at and order telephone terminations?"

Panduit.com or your local Graybar.

You can start here, one click from their homepage:

I'm not a big fan of Panduit NetKey due to the variations in the "keystone standard". But here it is:

In any installed system it is a good idea to keep a few extra modules in the rack. While you may think the "keystone standard" parts you can find at Home Depot are "compatible" with the keystones you have installed in practice they usually are not. I have found that variations in manufacturing tolerances lead to less than sturdy fit.

ANIXTER is another source for Panduit products.

As far as what will work as your "standard", you will need to do your homework to decide what will work for you among the brands. That may be buying the items and trying them, or contacting the manufacturer and getting samples for evaluation.

....JIM....

Jacks/faceplates are proprietary and it's good to not install Cat.6 cable.

XoverIP define proprietary as related to jacks/faceplates?

....JIM....

This is the way I've been explaining it to people for years...

"Although many vendors offer products that provide standardized interfaces (eg, rj45(8p8c)), the components supporting those interfaces are often proprietary."

If you want support from Hubble on their jacks, you better be using Hubble faceplates and/or enclosures. If you want support from AMP on their faceplates, you better be using AMP jacks.

That is why I don't use those brands!

....JIM....

Well, unfortunately, generally speaking, all OEM's only support their own products. You might want to utilize a solution provider who can brand their support to you whilst having, potentially, an array of OEMs products installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back