Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Commondialog Control File Name AND EXTENSION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWWAMS

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hi everyone, I'm using vb6.0 and my operating system is Windows XP Professional.

I have a commondialog control that I use to open a file. When a file is selected (with a single click), I would like to see the file name and the file extension in the text box labeled file name. Currently, only the file name is diplayed.

Is this possible? Or do I need to create my own open dialog box?

The application was originally developed using vb 5.0. With that version, when a file was selected the file name and extension were displayed.

Thanks for any help.

isn't that what the filetype dialog is for? it specifies what extension you are currently viewing.

It is, but I currently have wildcards in there.

*.*

Generally the file extension is shown if Explorer would show it. If the folder options are set to display extensions for registered filte types then they will show in the CommonDialog

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Johnwm,

"If the folder options are set to display extensions for registered filte types then they will show in the CommonDialog"

Any chance you could explain how this is done?

Thanks.

In Explorer open the folder and go to Tools|Folder Options, select the View tab and check or uncheck the 'Hide extensions for known file types'

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back