Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common way or best practice to mirror a database via WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2003
Hi guys,

I am just in the state of collecting ideas and you guys may help me. We are planning to mirror a database via a long distance, but just for a backup reason, so this mirror is a shadow database.

So we have a bunch of solutions to do so, but I am not sure, what is the best.

In the main place (production and failover), the database is secured through two DS4700 in a HACMP cluster. In this local installation the PPRC (Point-to-Point-Remote-Copy) feature of the DS4700 should be the best. But for safety and backup reason, a third location of the database is preferred. How to bring the data into there, that is the main question.

Any ideas and remarks are welcome, as I am unexperienced in that matter. Thanx

mad

Advanced Interactive eXecutable

what you could do with oracle,is 1 baseline transfer, and then copy over the archlogs at regular intervals and roll forward ? With that PPRC, do you have a guarantee that the database will be consistent ? If not you would have to place your DB in hot bacup mode every time, and take that "snapshot".

rgds,

R.

Take a look at glvm (geographical logical volume manager) from IBM. It is included with AIX 5.3, and since you already have HACMP, it it totally automated. It can be run with or without HACMP, but the recovery steps are manual without HACMP.

Thanks so far for your answers...

Yes, i do have oracle ..

mad

Advanced Interactive eXecutable

Hi,

we use a commercial Product for mirroring our Oracle, we can also set a timedelay for the Mirrordatabase. Take a look at: for more Information.

Mikri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back