Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common TNS error......

Status
Not open for further replies.

elziko

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
GB
I have installed Oracle Client 8i. SQL+ works fine and I can access the database through ADO no problem. However I have now installed the ENteprise Manager too and I get a TNS error when I try to log on using any of the managment tools.

I have tried to TNSPing the database several times an that seems to be OK.

I have searched for every TNSnames file and the olny one that makes any reference is in my oracle client home: D:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN and looks like this:

# D:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:D:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LDP.CONO =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Thehost)(PORT = Theport))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = LDP)
)
)

Would adding the following registry entry force the Enteprise Manager to use the file above? Or should I be doing something quite different?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE\TNS_ADMIN="D:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN"

Many thanks,

elziko

Hi,

First you to had a sid in "listner.ora" file, then in tnsnames.ora then try.

Kumar.

Thanks but sorry I don't understand what you mean. Whats a sid? Heres my listener file but it means nothing to me!:

################
# Filename......: listener.ora
# Node..........: local.world
# Date..........: 24-MAY-94 13:23:20
################
LISTENER =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= oracle.world)
)
(ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= ORCL)
)
(ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= hostname)
(Port= 1521)
)
)
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = tftp)
(PROGRAM = tftpd)
)
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = sfinger)
(PROGRAM = sfingerd)
)
)
PASSWORDS_LISTENER = (oracle)

Can you give me a little more detail please, thanks,

elziko

You've probably installed server and tools into different homes, so you have to change TNS_ADMIN not under .../oracle, but rather under ...oracle/homeN, where N is a number, indentifying your home. It probably equals to 1 if you have only 2 homes.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE\HOME1\TNS_ADMIN="D:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN"

Thanks I have now solved the problem by copying tnsnames.ora AND sqlnet.ora from my OraHome\Network folder into my EntMan\Net80 folder.

I originally though it was only the tnsnames.ora that mattered.

Thanks to all who helped,

elziko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back