Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common idapi32.CFG file

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigandfat

Technical User
Feb 7, 2002
CA
With help from Lance, I was able to set up a common idapi32.CFG on our server, and this has worked well for the paradox alias's however I have a few ODBC connections and when I set up these on a new PC I end up with multiple ODBC database entries in the BDE which causes problems. Does anyone know of a work around or should I revert back to a idapi32.CFG on each local machine?
Thanks in advance.

bigandfat,

I'm not entirely certain about this, for I've never used it personally; however, I notice that the ODBC Administrator provides a Set Directory button on the File DSN tab. Perhaps setting this to a shared network directory on all workstation would allow you to share your ODBC aliases.

You might start by copying the files from one machine's Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\DataSources directory (one containing the ODBC DSN's you've declared) to one of the drives on the network and then setting the File DSN directory for that machine to the network copy. Test the change and see if your aliases still work. If so, then all you'd need to do is update each machine to use the same directory for the File DSN's.

For what it's worth, it appears this is saved in the Registry under:

Code:
   My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE      SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC File\DSN

The key is DefaultDSNDir and it's a String containing the fully qualified pathname of the selected directory, e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\Data Sources

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back