Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CommandButtons not working on form opened with startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsHandle

Programmer
Jan 14, 2012
US
I told a friend I would stop over and fix a form for him but it has me baffled. This is Access 2K. The startup routine opens a form Named "Welcome". On that form are many cmdbuttons that open subordinate forms. The buttonsrecently stopped working for him. If the form is opened through the startup the buttons do not work. If instead the form is opened by clicking on it in the database window it opens fine. I see nothing that should cause this, thus this request.

Also if other users open the same front end (it's out on the network??)database with the same shortcut, the buttons work fine. Access has been reinstalled on this machine.

Baffled

re installed and ALL updates done? also

Also if other users open the same front end (it's out on the network??)

Are we to assume by this statement the FE is on the Server? If so then it defeats the purpose to a split db. The FE is intended to reside on the client with the BE on the server. You may want to suggest this to your friend.

Does this occur when someone else opens the db or only his machine? You may want to check the state this his machine opens the db (permissions) also if its his machine only then its more than likely an Access issue which then i would look to see that all of the Office updates are done

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Thanks for answering.

This db(it is not a front end - my presumption), it houses everything but the link files.

So maybe more information since I posted. There are other dbs out in the same directory. They open and operate fine from his machine. We made another copy of this db and placed it on his C drive in his machine - buttons do not work in this copy either.
He signed on from 4 other machines under his own ID. From 2 machines he encountered the same button problem. From the other 2 machines everything worked fine.

Any ideas

1- a corrupt db
2- potentially vba references ... maybe
3- a diff version of an OCX being used or even dll used in the references - or it has been changed to a diff version
4- look to see if any other software has been updated recently eg. printer drivers etc.

for a corruption you could try to import the db objects to a new empty container and test it. Or if there is backup try to restore locally for testing.

"link files" im assuming data tables(source) because db objects and data tables don't play nice in the sandbox and will corrupt a db [upsidedown]
btw have ALL updates been done to office?

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back