Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command to check patch date on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikelit

MIS
Sep 10, 2003
US
What command can I use to check the install date of a certain patch. I would like to search for the MSS number or sun alert.

for patches,

The Install date on the system is pointless. It is more important to reference the exact patch to see if there is an alert on it.

the patches are in xxxxxx-xx format

eg: 118844-29

When you search sun alerts, it will tell you specifically what patch and revision it is reporting about. So if there was a Sun Alert on 118844-29, it would show that specifically, if you seen 118844-29 in the Sun alert, and you had -37 installed than your patch revision is not affected.

You can use the command: showrev -p to see what patches are installed on your server:

#showrev -p (gives you all patches, really noisy)

#showrev -p |grep 118844

#showrev -p | grep "Patch: 118668"

You can find some patches located in /var/sadm/patches, you will not find all the patches there though, the only patches in this directly for the most part are the patches that make up the core operating system and kernel updates.

So using the showrev command is more accurate.

Thanks for the information, but I am looking for dates. for example, if I wanted to see when the firefox was installed , I want to do a search on the date when it was installed, not if the patch exist.

I'm not sure there is a cut and dry way.

if it was a pkg you needed info on, you can use pkginfo -l <pkgname>

but since you are asksing about patches...

well I guess for any updates that you add via a patch they will probably be in /var/sadm/patch.

you can then cd into the patch and look at the date the log was created. It logs the installation of the patch. There are other patches not located in /var/sadm/patch that show up with showrev -p, these are mainly the patches that initially made up the installation of your installed operating system. you will not be able to check the date of these unless you use updatemanager.

(120461-17) 260 #ls
README.120461-17 log postbackout prebackout

261 #ls -l
total 34
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11943 Dec 14 07:51 README.120461-17
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2339 Dec 16 08:59 log

If you use updatemanager, which is gui based tool, equivalent to smpatch, than it will show you everything you need to know.

To run it, just type: updatemanager as root

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back