Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigger321

Technical User
May 21, 2005
GB
hey all. i got what seems to be a fairly major problem with my home PC (having to write this from my laptop). Anyway heres the story.

Last night i tried to shut my computer down, everything was fine untill i noticed a little white curser blinking at the top left hand side of the screen. i left it in the hope thaht it would go-away but this was to no aveil. i could hear the machine was still running so tried the only solution i know which was repeatedly hitting ctrl-alt and del (which also failed misrably).

Accepting defeat i just held in the power button for 10secs to force the computer to shut down, and i think it was this that has caused my problem. as now when i try to boot the computer up i get a messsage saying

"Windows was unable to process the registry this may be fixed by re-booting to command prompt only and running SCANREG/FIX otherwise there is not enough conventional memory to properly load registry"

and i cant get the computer to go any further than this. Anyone know how to reboot in command prompt? is it like DOS? any light on the matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

the command promptm, in windows 95/98/Me is DOS. Well close enough to it anyway.

to reboot into commadn prompt restart your computer and press F8 or cntrl repadetly to get the boot mwenu. Once yu get the boot menu select command Prompt only, when you get the C: prompt do as it suggests, and type
Scanreg/fix and hit enter. It should fix ythe registry and then prompt for a reboot. reboot the machine and see if it will boot into windows.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita - ME doesn't have command prompt on its boot menu!

rigger321 - you need an ME boot floppy to get to a dos prompt for ME (where you can run scanreg). is a good place to get one, if you need to.

Wolluf, you are so right. I forgot about that. Guess I was thinking of Win98.

Anyway, a bootdisk, from Wolluf's suggestion is the way to go.

Get that done and post back if you need more help.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks both for your replies, i dont have a boot disk for ME and am not entirely sure how to get hold of one. but i believe ive made some progress with the situation. i managed to get the computer to boot up in safe mode and went to the DOS style program (under start->programs->accessories) the comp said it was repairing the registry and proceeded to restart itself.

but this has left me with a kaboodle of new problems. the comp will boot up but i get an error message from zonealarm (im guessing its been corrupted) the screen resolution is as bad as safe modes, the mouse has stopped working and its very tempremental just about anything i do seems to crash it.

if i cant get these things fixed, which i doubt i will, i think im gonna have to clean install (think ill try puttin XP on this time though) still if theres any last rays of hope id be most grateful?

For the bootdisks, Wolluff was kind enough to post a link to some. here it is again
If I were you, I'd backup any important data, and format and reinstall. The registry fix, probably unregistered some stuff including the video drivers. You'll most probably need to download them and reinstall them.

But I think if the PC can handle WinXP that would be the best option. Of course in a clean install. That way any problems that WinMe was suffering don't get taken over to XP with the Update.

Again backupo everything you need and then format and install XP. or reinstall ME.

first boot back into safe mode. AT the START button, then select run, in the white box type MSCONIFG, then select the STARTUP tab uncheck zonealarm, then click on apply and ok. DO NOT reboot here.
now go back to the run box again and type in scanreg /restore
Then reboot
Now right click in the middle of youe desktop, Now select 16 bit true color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back