Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command Prompt - copy command with progress bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolyschaf

Technical User
Jan 19, 2008
AT
Hi, new to the forums, excellent resources here, well done.

I would like to ask:

If I use the good old "copy" command from the COmmand Prompt is there anyway to to show a progress bar or % progress indicator as file is being copied, even if using third party freeware or software.

Many thanks.

Copy (or XCOPY) never featured such a thing in any form of DOS or XP command prompt (that I've seen) - but always in Windows Explorer (or File Manager). But generally, the demand isn't there so to speak - most files are so small that it would be pointless.

But generally, it would be an easy enough thing to write: I've seen it in other applications, and did it myself (a % indicator, but still...) with a DOS program I wrote once.

Hopefully the answer comes though.

There have been quite a few posts in TT on progress bars both in the XP forum and the VBScript forum. Just look for progress and you'll find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back