Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command line ZIP archiving (2K or XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh42891

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
I've got about 800 files I need in about 200 seperate zip files. I have access to a WinXP Pro (with native zip support) but it doesn't seem to be able to create a zip file. I understand the syntax for adding to a zip, but nothing seems to want to create one from the command line. I'm working with 7-Zip now on a Win2k machine- because I have local admin on it--but 7-Zip doesn't seem to want to create a zip archive from the command line either. Is this possible? Any suggested software out there for command line zipping? I have to be able to script this or the files just won't get zipped. Thanks a lot!

dylan

well, pkzip will do it, but free for only 30 days. good enough for today, but I'm extremely interested in a freeware or open source package if anyone knows of one. thanks,

dylan

ahh, that sounds a whole lot like what i was looking for. thanks!

dylan

I use info-zip - works great. I've written several scripts with it and it's 100% free. And it supports long file names (which the old PKZIP does not, though the new one does).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back