Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

command line question

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLJones

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
CA
Hi. I just bought a Macbook and I am trying to connect to the print server on my school's wireless network. In the past, if I wanted to do this on the PC I would go to the "start" menu and click on the "Run..." option. Then, in the command field I would type in "\\servername". This would then give me a list of all the printers and file folders I could access. Is there an equivalent command-line operation that would allow me to do this on the Mac? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

- URL

Look in the Finder toolbar at the top of the screen for an option to connect to a server. This is the GUI way to do this.

'Command' on Windows is similar to the 'Terminal' app on a Mac or similar BSD system. Find this in the Applications/Utility folder.

System Preferences

Print & Fax

+

For Protocol select HP Jet Direct Socket

Then pretty much the same as windows.

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back