Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command line printing in Ubuntu linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetlew

Programmer
Dec 31, 2003
US
I'm in need of help. I have Unbuntu install with no GUI. Using this PC as a file server only. I ran into a need to print a text file from this machine to my windows printer. I have three other XP Pro machines on a home network along with my Linux file server. The printer I want to use is on one of those XP machines. What do I need to do in order to print to the XP printer from the Linux command line.

When I issued the LP <filename> command, I kept getting errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adavance.

I suppose it depends how often you need to do this... why not just transfer the file to Win machine and print from local Win services?

You could also work on getting Samba set up to use Cups or LPR to send the print job to the remote printer via share.

OR, if the remote printer supports a direct IP call you could try that.

You'll probably need services like Ghostscript, a2ps and Cups to generate print via Postscript....

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back