Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Command for Fedora core 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarahel

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2006
PT
Does anybody what´s the adduser command to fedora core 6? is it usermount?

And addgroup btw? I need to know how to add a user and a group in fedora 6? in other versions to add a user is adduser ´USER´ and to add a group is /usr/bin/groupadd ´GROUP´ but in f6 i have no ideia.

I don't think there is any difference FC6. The command adduser is a symlink to useradd. Check your man pages i.e. man useradd and see how it works.

Ok,so this is my problem...I´m trying to install nagios,and I´m following the installation guide,but at a point (after I´ve created the user nagios) I have to do a:

-------------------------------------------------------
chown nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios

-------------------------------------------------------

It starts to change the ownership but then i get a "operation not permitted" message.I think it´s related with permissions or authorizations,but I´m a total noob in linux and I don´t know how to give myself permissions...I have the root password but I can´t seem have permissions to do almost anything

Have you tried su ? You may need to (for this instance ONLY) log on as root.

The answer is "42"

I´ve logged in as root and it worked fine...thks franklin,u´re a life saver =) \o/

Good thing I didn't make a fool of myself. I would have thought nagios.nagios should have been nagios:nagios. But I guess that was a typo. ;-)

RhythmAce: The period syntax works because of this (from the coreutils info page):

[tt]Some older scripts may still use `.' in place of the `:' separator. POSIX 1003.1-2001 (*note Standards conformance::) does not require support for that, but for backward compatibility GNU `chown' supports `.' so long as no ambiguity results. New scripts should avoid the use of `.' because it is not portable, and because it has undesirable results if the entire OWNER`.'GROUP happens to identify a user whose name contains `.'.[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back