Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comma before whereby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UniqueFD

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Should I add a comma before 'whereby' in the following clause?

Employees will be subject to Compulsory Maternity Leave whereby they will not be permitted to work for 2 weeks after their baby has been born (4 weeks for factory workers).

Tony

I say, NO.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

You are making a statement of policy and a statement of policy consequence. Therefore, in order to emphasize each, I'd break this into two statements.

Employees will be subject to Compulsory Maternity Leave. Consequently, they will not be permitted to work for 2 weeks after their baby has been born (4 weeks for factory workers).

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Factory workers must take 4 weeks of maternity leave after the birth of their baby.
Non-factory workers must take 2 weeks of maternity leave after the birth of their baby.

I'm sorry, but those suggestions clarify it much too much. To be proper corporate policy, it should read something like this...

HR Manual said:
With the exception of workers that have not had a baby, all employees must take two weeks maternity leave, unless they are factory workers, who's time is double that.

[bigsmile]

No good, Sam. I only had to read your suggestion twice in order to understand it. However, it serves as a good starting point. How about something like this:

Revised HR manual said:
All workers, including but not limited to factory workers, are required to take maternity leave, such leave to be taken on or immediately after the birth of their baby (or babies in the case of multiple births), for a period of two weeks, except in the case of factory workers, for whom the period of said maternity leave is four weeks. Nothing in this regulation shall apply to employees who are male.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

You cannot – legally – exclude males from this regulation. That’s a sexist approach. [nosmiley]
I like the use of at least one ‘shall’, although disappointed of the lack of any use of ‘therein’, ‘thereof’, ‘herein’, and such.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I like the direction this is going, but my place of employment seems to always add this at the end of regulations like that...

Failure to comply may be punishable up to and including termination.

This will guarantee that people won't just gloss over it and will waste maximum time trying to understand whether it applies to them or not.

Nearly there. But we just need to make it clear who is being terminated. Is it the employee or the person granting or denying the maternity leave (or is it even the aforementioned baby or babies)? Any thoughts?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

On a serious note:

Do adopting parents qualify? If yes then is "immediately after the birth" the correct starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back