Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comm Port Failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

intiertech

Programmer
May 25, 2007
CA
We have run into an issue that has perplexed us. Every week or two we end up having to replace our Xycom touch screens at one of our electrical testing stations because one of the 4 comm ports stop working. Has anyone heard of this happening before? We know its not the cables because when we put a new PC out there it works fine for about a week, then it fails. And besides its RS232 and there is no voltage going through them (as far as we know). So do comm ports just die? do they have a life span? any ideas

could be a conflict with the IRQs make sure the IRQs are assigned properly to the correct ports etc.

Exactly what kind of electrical testing do you do? There are a whole series of issues with RS232 with induced spikes from electrical equipment.
There are adapters you can put on both ends that will convert the 232 to something not subject to the electrical issues you may be facing.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1005 S157.XP Home is OS.
It has a software driven modem.
The modem seems to have some type conflict. Which I cannot isolate. I have un-installed driver, and re installed. Device Mgr. Says working, but when I query it says something else is using port. I also cannot use my #1 Pcmia slot, card does not show any power just dead. I am thinking these two things are related. But can't figure out how to correct.
I have also performed a clean install of XP, with no resolution of issue.

Any Suggestions?

First, start a new thread with a title more descriptive of your problem. That might help pull some answers from people who ignore threads with multiple answers.
And list the hardware in the title. That may get you specific help.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Static is probably the cause. If you send your touchscreen back for repair they will tell you what they have to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back