Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMDLG32.OCX problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbloggs

Programmer
Jun 7, 1999
CA
I have an app that uses the color common dialog box. It works fine on my PC at work, but at home I get a message when I try to compile the project that says method not valid- Error 429. It indicates that I do not have the correct license info to COMDLG32.OCX. I downloaded the latest version from Microsoft (found it thru ZDNET) - still didn't fix the problem. <br>
<br>
At home, I'm running Windows 98, using VB Professional Edition, V5. <br>
<br>
The error message indicates my registry might be corrupt- how would I go about checking this- or is there really another solution to this problem? <br>
<br>
Thanks for any help.

Try some or all of these:<br>
At home: Go in Projects, Components and make sure its checked<br>
Quick way to find it is click &quot;Only Selected&quot; on right side tehy will show up at the top.<br>
<br>
Find the &quot;Common dailog box&quot; on the form and delete it.<br>
Note if you have it on several forms delete all of them. <br>
You will know when you have all of them becuse you can un-check it in Properties, Components.<br>
<br>
Un check it then Re-check it.<br>
<br>
Then re-add it back to one form.<br>
<br>
This will add the version you have at home.<br>
<br>
But it may not work when you get back to work.<br>
Note there are actually two controls .OCX and .OCA one is for Design time one is for Run time and distrubution.<br>
<br>
PS make sure you are using the 32 bit version &quot;COMDLG32.OCX&quot; <br>
<br>

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the .OCA file. I'll try that. <br>
<br>
I did, however, try your suggestion - I should have mentioned this in the original post. I removed, then re-added the component to the project. This still did not fix it. <br>

Go to the START button on your desktop, then click on RUN.<br>
Type in &quot; Regsvr32.exe comdlg32.ocx &quot; without the quotation marks. This will manually register the control that VB5 should have during installation of VB. There is a quirk in VB5 that doesn't register some controls properly. Whenever you run across this problem with other controls (the machine says you don't have a license to use the control) you will need to manually register the ocx in the same manner. (This was taken from memory, I believe I have the steps correctly listed, if it doesn't work contact me directly and I'll research it further). Hope this helps !<br>
<A HREF="mailto:jdmcjen@stc.net">jdmcjen@stc.net</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back