Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comcast login - auto filled account is not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Using internet at friend's house while visiting them, not close to my house. On my laptop (XP/Firefox) I go to The login box is auto-filled with a comcast email address that I have never even heard of.

Come home a few days later and my desktop (Win 7/Firefox) does the same auto-fill with the same email address!!!

Went back to neighbors house a week later with laptop and comcast.net auto-fills in the neighbors email account (not the same account as the first sentence).

I can't explain any of these occurrences. Kind of freaking me out. Nobody else uses my laptop or desktop.

I thought our little wild time had just begun.

Possibly dynamic IPs confusing the login server and it populated the form with cached data.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

This happened at my house also, My wife just asked me why on her computer which I have never used to logon to xfinity, defaults to my user name, the only thing I can think is it is disturbing, because it means comcast is monitoring something.

because it means comcast is monitoring something

Well yes, they would, what with them being an ISP and all that, of course they monitor logins, the IP that is assigned etc etc.

Just as long as the password isn't automatically populated it's not that a big deal. Report it to the ISP that their server is populating the login forms incorrectly.

If it happens again check the IP that is being assigned and see if there is any correlations.

Use whatsmyip.org to check.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

WHAT!!! Outrageous, I want my privacy, next your going to tell me the Government is reading my emails.....[tongue]

It's coming from the java script applet in the login box area of the page. It shows this as the source code and what it is populating the field with. But still WHY? It only happens after cleaning out cache/cookies, so that means the cache/cookies override whatever they're sending UNTIL they are removed, I'm guessing.

P_class="logged_in" >
NotMyAddress@comcast.net
</p>

Just as long as the password isn't automatically populated it's not that a big deal. Report it to the ISP that their server is populating the login forms incorrectly.
I am doing this right now.

If it happens again check the IP that is being assigned and see if there is any correlations.
My IP hasn't changed for quite a while.

It only happens after cleaning out cache/cookies, so that means the cache/cookies override whatever they're sending UNTIL they are removed, I'm guessing

It means that the server is caching sessions and getting it wrong.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

If the server is caching login credential, then someone should be sacked!

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Login names, but not passwords. I'd say bothersome but not any security breach type of worry.

So, I found this post which shows it's not just me. Cromcrust is doing things - Home Pass
Link

Comcast is introducing something called Home Pass.

We recently released HomePass. While in your home, you will be able to use many features that previously required you to sign in. Some features still require that you sign in for privacy reasons (personalized features including email, queue, viewing history, etc).

When you sign in, we are automatically populating the primary account as the user name in an effort to make it even easier to sign in. Many users (especially ones that have trouble remembering their username) find this very helpful.

As you are experiencing, we're hearing from other users that this is not a desired feature. We're in the process of examining what's best for all of our users. I've emailed this thread to our team to share your concerns.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back