Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comcast Cable Internet Incompatible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephaerie

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Apparently Comcast Cable Internet was not designed to be compatible with Win2KServer. Is there anyway to bypass this, since it's compatible with Win NT and Win2K?

Question

Do you have a switch that the router, server and clients plug into.

If you use a switch then the clients will access the internet without touching server

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Most home internet providers do not allow you to connect any servers. This is one case where it's best to contact Comcast directly.

JTB
Senior Microsoft Consultant
MCSE-NT4+W2K, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA,
CCDA, CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(CCNP, MCSA/MCSE-2K3 in progress)

The set up is an easy one (done it hundreds of times for homes, and small businesses)

1. The modem gets plugged into a router (with DHCP capabilities)

2. The router gets plugged into a switch
(configure router) IP address

3, Server and clients get plugged into the switch

4. Ensure all clients and server is running DHCP enabled

5. Now you have intrnet access and a working server.

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

forgot to mention

Comcast will want you to use thier equipment for a price but I found a linksys router worked fine in home and small (i mean small - 1 to 5 users) businesses

bob

Jones' Law

Actually, an ethernet connection worked perfectly. With the ethernet connection, I didn't have to worry about installing the driver for the usb port in order to use the Comcast service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back