Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comboboxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

integritycare

Technical User
Mar 12, 2011
AU
Hello,
I have a query re combo boxes in Excel 2007.
I have a worksheet (worksheet1) with text data on it. I want to be able to put a combobox on another worksheet (worksheet2) and use it to fill in cells from the data on worksheet1.

Just not sure how to implement this. Could I have some help on this please.

Thank you,

Integrity

1.Create the list in cells in worksheet1 (you already have this)
2.Select cell E3. in the worksheet2
3.Choose Validation from the Data menu.
4.Choose List from the Allow option's drop-down list. ...
5.Click the Source control and drag to highlight the cells in worksheet1
6.Make sure the In-Cell Dropdown option is checked. ...
7.Click OK.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Hi Andy,
Thank you for that post. It achieved what I wanted.
1. However just a couple of things about this combo box. I was wondering if the no of items listed can be extended. Seems to only select 8 rows. I used the design mode to see if I can look at the properties and increase the number of rows, but cant seem to do that.

2. I am designing a Stock list which has 3 important fields, Product, Description & Unit. Is it possible to be able to select the product with just one combobox and have all that info inserted into the cells on the Order form? I know that if I was using Access this would be easy! It inserts the Product into the Product cell ok, but just wanting to have the other data inserted as well.

Thank you,
Integrity

1. I created a list with 100 entries (rows) and all 100 items are shown in the combo.
2. "Order form" - is that the UserForm in Excel's VBA? If so, I would use the Form's controls to deal with the data from the Excel file. This way you will have pretty much the same code like in Access.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back