Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ComboBox won't update underlying table

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSSC

Programmer
Nov 3, 2002
US
I'm using a combo box to autopopulate a form. That's working great (Thanks Paul Bricker), but the underlying table is not receiving this info.

combobox has part numbers and descriptions from Master BOM table.

System Configuration form needs part numbers and descriptions in the System Config table.

Using a combo box bound to the part number and text box control source set to combo box.Column (1) produces the desired results on the System Configuration form, but the System Configuration table only receives the part number, not the description.

TIA,
Cj

STOP!

I don't think you really want to do what you want to do....You even said it yourself.....the underlying table is getting the part number but not the description. You don't want to stroe the description....just the number. If you store the description also, you are breaking normalization rules, and I can't see any reason from your posting why you should....

From what you have posted, you already have it set up perfectly.... Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

I understand the normalization issue but the issue of outputting the info (such as a report) can be mind-boggling. I know how to get the info out of the table (parameter query for a specific record or criteria), but how do you get the relational info (for this example, description) into the report? Management does not recognize part numbers like technicians do, so "words" are required.

Cj

Not a problem.....

If you have established your relationships, all you have to do is create a query for the report to be based from, add both tables to the query source, and include the part number from the "raw" table, and the description from the other. Then in the report, just don't even show the number from the "raw" table.....this will have the effect of the description "appearing" to be part of the table....if you want to send me an email, I can put together a sample db for you...... Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! [thumbsup2]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back