Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combobox which is dependent on another combobox is not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keun

Technical User
Jul 15, 2005
US
I have a combobox where the available entries are supposed to be dependent on another combobox.

My problem is that when I put this form on a subform by putting it in a tab, I get an error. This combobox works when it's not in the tab of the subform.

The row source for the dependent combobox is:

SELECT tblCaseID.CaseID, tblCaseID.CaseType FROM tblCaseID WHERE (((tblCaseID.ClientID)=Forms!FrmNotesTabSubform!cboClientID)) ORDER BY tblCaseID.CaseID;

The AfterUpdate for cboClientID is:

Private Sub cboClientID_AfterUpdate()
Me.cboCase = Null
Me.cboCase.Requery

End Sub

The subform is set up with the relationship on ClientID, and I think this is where my problem is, but I do not know how to fix it.

I've looked at that, and made some changes, but am still getting an error.

Since both of my controls are on the same form (Subform1 in the language of the page you linked to) it seems that me!cboClientID should work. But when I am prompted with a dialog box to enter the parameter value for me!txtClientID, but that value is populated!

Since both of my controls are on the same form (Subform1 in the language of the page you linked to) it seems that me!cboClientID should work
Sorry, no.

If the form is instantiated as a subform, you can not reference it by its form name through the forms collection. You can only reference it as a property of a subform control, through the main form. So the following is wrong if "frmNotesTabSubForm" is a name of a form instantiated as a subform:
Forms!FrmNotesTabSubform!cboClientID

It has to be
Forms!NameMainForm!NameSubFormControl.Form!cboClientID

You can simply test it. Open a form with a subform. Go to the immediate window and type:
?Forms!YourMainFormName.name
It will return the name of the main form
Then type
?Forms!NameOfTheSubForm
It will give a "Microsoft can not find the form error"

Forms! is a reference to the

Private Sub cboClientID_AfterUpdate()
Me!cboCase = Null
Me!cboCase.RowSource = "SELECT CaseID,CaseType FROM tblCaseID WHERE ClientID=" & Me!cboClientID & " ORDER BY CaseID"
End Sub

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back