Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combobox tooltiptext question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2007
US
Hi,
It is possible to display a different font than the default font to the tooltiptext content ?

example i have this code in the combobox init,i would like the text below the line "TEXT TO lcText NOSHOW" to be shown in a little big in size and bold", it is anything that can accomplish it ?
Thanks in advance

Code:
LOCAL lcText
TEXT TO lcText NOSHOW 
Non serial#s Meaning
89736 = R&D

89741 = Misc Assembly

89744 = Sample print

89760 = Ptod

13100 = Standards

60400 = Jury Duty

60500 = Holiday

60600 = Bereavement

65600 = Maintenance
ENDTEXT 
this.ToolTipText = m.lcText

From the help file:

SYS(3007) - ToolTipText Property Font Language Script

Specifies a font language script for the text that appears as a ToolTip for a control.

SYS(3007 [, nFontCharSet])

Parameters
nFontCharSet
Specifies a font language script for the text that appears as a ToolTip for all controls. The ToolTip text is specified with the ToolTipText Property.

See the GETFONT( ) Function for a list of available language font script values.

Return Value
Character. If the nFontCharSet parameter is omitted, SYS(3007) returns the current font language script setting.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

Hi Landfla,

I'm not familiar with Griff's solution, but it would be worth your following it up.

That said, my understanding is that it is only possible to change the tooltip font at the Windows level. How you do that depends on which version of Windows you are using. In general, you would go to Control Panel, open Display properties, then go to Appearance or Change Settings or something similar, and then look for Advanced Appearance. You should then see a setting for Tooltips that lets you specify the font, font size, style, foreground colour and background colour (again, these details might vary with the Windows version).

However, keep in mind that these are system-wide settings. I don't know if they can be changed programmatically, but in any case it would not be considered desirable to do so. The Display settings are the user's personal choice, and it is not the job of application programs to override that.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

There is, of course, another approach. You could ignore the built-in tooltip feature and create your own instead. Basically, all you need is a border-less form which you make visible when the user moves the mouse into the relevant control. You can put any text (or even images) that you like on the form, using whatever colours and fonts take your fancy.

I use this approach myself. I described it in a little more detail in the post dated 7 Jan 18 15:44 in thread184-1783448.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I think Mike is right
The 3007 function seems to refer to the 'script' of the tooltip font - European, Cryllic, Hebrew stuff like that, but it made no difference on
my machine anyway!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

thanks Griff, i tried that last nite came out in Japanese, thanks Mike i think that is a very good idea, will try that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back