Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ComboBox Drop-Down List with Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcclung

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
US
Is it possible to have columns in drop-down list? I know its possible with a listbox, but I really need to use the drop-down list.

Interestingly enough you cannot re-distribute the fm20.dll.

I am not positive of this and I am hoping if I am wrong someone will correct me providing a bit of proof, but is not fm20.dll common to all (or almost all) Microsoft Office products, ie WORD, EXCEL, VB, ACCESS, OUTLOOK, etc. So that the probability of fm20.dll not being on a computer running a MS OS is rather remote.

Found the answer. Office 97 and above install fm20.dll, but even if that is not available, you can do the following. This is from M$.

As an alternative to having your end users install Microsoft Office, you can have them freely download and install the Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad, which also installs the Fm20.dll. For more information, see the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Exactly, but you do need to be aware just incase. Depending on your relationship with the client it might be a bit awkward to have them download another product just to get yours to work.

It is! But you have to assume that the user has office installed. Otherwise your program will break.

I wish I had a product out there that I could assume is on EVERY PC :)

As an alternative to having your end users install Microsoft Office, you can have them freely download and install the Microsoft ActiveX Control Pad, which also installs the Fm20.dll. Note the word free.

I've never had a client balk once the "free" word is mentioned. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Mmm, you can reference the dll in your application, and use it, but make sure you remove it from your distribution list.

It should be already on most systems anyways, esp. if IE or an MS Office item in installed, the OS is W2000/XP, or it can be found somewhere on the OS CD.

I saw somewhere in this forum a thread just yesterday on this matter.

[/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Here is the thread I mentioned:

thread222-479878

with reference also to:

Thread222-414294 [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back