Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combobox and grid controls with JBuilder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimtrom

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
GB
Hello

I am a VB programmer trying to learn Java with JBuilder Foundation.

I am looking for a Java combobox component with a multicolumn dropdown to use in my database app, and also a grid that will support embedding other controls such as a multicolumn combobox within one of the grid columns. (VB doesn't have such controls.)

I was wondering if there were any free opensource components such as the above that I could download from somewhere on the Net. Are there a good number of free Java components available generally, or should I try Delphi, perhaps, or something like that, because I am at my wits' end to find free well constructed relatively sophisticated GUI controls to use with Visual Basic. I have basically given up!!! Microsoft programmers insist on charging for their work....

If anyone can help me find the above GUI controls for Java, please help.

Many thanks,

Trimtrom

I presume you're using Swing.

You may have to 'roll-your-own', but it may not be as difficult as it seams. The Swing components are VERY versatile and can be coerced into all kinds of behaviour.

I suspect that any ready-made Swing component would be chargeable just like in the Microsoft world. It's just that since the Swing components are so flexible, most people probably just enhance their behaviour themselves, reducing the market fot third-party products.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back