Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box Text Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiem

Technical User
Aug 1, 2001
US
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the size of a text string that can be included in a combo box select list? The 255 character limit perhaps?

I have several combo boxes that derive their select lists from a single field [fldCRITERIA] in table [tblDATA]. Several records in the field contain text data that is longer than the normal 255 character limit, so I have changed fldCRITERIA to the memo format. This works fine until data is entered into a form using the combo box select list. When the data is entered, the longer entries become truncated.

Does anyone know a way around this? I need to have the longer text strings, because it consists of data that I want to later pass to my reports. There are text character limitations in the reports, too, which seem to make this the ideal way to do it, if its possible.

Thanks for your help.

For the memo type fields, about the only way I can see it, you will need to setup a dynamic array with variable string data type, which can contain up to approximately 2 billion characters per variable/element. To display the current information, you could also use a label and it's caption property provided your field doesn't exceed 2048 characters.

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician
Master MOUS 2000
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back