Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box Search 2nd SubForm

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartansFC

Programmer
Apr 1, 2009
GB
Hi

The main set up of the database is:

MainForm: frmCustomers, tblCustomers, lngPeopleID (PK)
Subform1: frmCustomersBookings Subform, tblBookings, lngBookingID (PK), lngPeopleID(FK)
Subform2: frmCustomerslInvoices Subform, tblInvoices, lngInvoiceID (PK), lngBookingID (FK)

I've got 3 search combo boxes on the main form to search for either the customer name, booking number or invoice number, i'm stuck on the invoice number search.

I got the customer search to work via:
RowSource: SELECT tblCustomers.lngPeopleID, [strForename] & " " & [strSurname] AS staffname FROM tblCustomers ORDER BY [strForename] & " " & [strSurname];

Code:
rs.FindFirst "[lngPeopleID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbCustomerSearch], 0))

I got the booking search to work via
Row Source: SELECT tblBookings.lngPeopleID, tblBookings.lngBookingID, tblBookings.strReferenceNumber FROM tblBookings ORDER BY tblBookings.strReferenceNumber;

Code:
rs.FindFirst "[lngPeopleID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbBookingSearch], 0))

In the combo box i'm using to search for invoices, i have:

cmbInvoiceSearch
RowSource: SELECT tblInvoices.lngBookingID, tblInvoices.lngInvoiceID, tblInvoices.strInvoiceNo FROM tblInvoices ORDER BY tblInvoices.strInvoiceNo;
BoundColumn: 1
Coloumn Widths: 0;0;2.54

The AfterUpdate has
Code:
Private Sub cmbInvoiceSearch_AfterUpdate()

' Find the record that matches the control.
    Dim rs As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
    rs.FindFirst "Forms.[frmCustomers]![frmCustomersBookings Subform].[frmCustomerslInvoices Subform].Form![lngBookingID]" = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))"  
    If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

End Sub

i even tried
Code:
rs.FindFirst "Forms![frmCustomers]![frmCustomersBookings Subform].Form![frmCustomerslInvoices Subform].Form.[lngBookingID]" = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))"

Nothing happens when i select any invoice number from the combo box, i managed to get the other two working using the same method but i don't think i'm referencing the control of the subform properly.

Any ideas

Michael

Try this:

Code:
    Dim rs As Object[blue]
Dim str as String
[/blue]
    Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone[blue]
str = "Forms.[frmCustomers]![frmCustomersBookings Subform].[frmCustomerslInvoices Subform].Form![lngBookingID]" = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))"  

Debug.Print str

rs.FindFirst str[/blue]

If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

and see what you get in Debug.Print

You may find out that instead of
Code:
str = "Forms.[frmCustomers]![frmCustomersBookings Subform].[frmCustomerslInvoices Subform].Form![lngBookingID]" = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))"
you need:
Code:
str = Forms.[frmCustomers]![frmCustomersBookings Subform].[frmCustomerslInvoices Subform].Form![lngBookingID] & " = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Thanks for the help Andy, it was a quick fix in the end, don't know why i didn't think of it.

in the combo box i had

Code:
SELECT tblBookings.lngPeopleID, tblInvoices.lngBookingID, tblInvoices.lngInvoiceID, tblInvoices.strInvoiceNo FROM tblBookings INNER JOIN tblInvoices ON tblBookings.lngBookingID = tblInvoices.lngBookingID ORDER BY tblInvoices.strInvoiceNo;

and in the after update event of the combo box i had

Code:
rs.FindFirst "[lngPeopleID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![cmbInvoiceSearch], 0))

Interesting/unique way of naming fields in tables:
[tt]
[red]lng[/red]BookingID
[red]lng[/red]InvoiceID
[red]lng[/red]PeopleID
[red]str[/red]InvoiceNo
[/tt]
[pc1]

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back