Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box limited to displaying 65536 records

Status
Not open for further replies.

APS

Vendor
Sep 25, 2000
US
Does anyone have a way around this issue? I'm using Microsoft Access project or Access 2000. The problem has been around longer then this.

I don't know exactly what your data is - but I think that number of records in a combo box would be unwieldly anyways. Can you show a subset of data based on some filter. If all the data you are presenting is a legitimate selection you could still break it into groups - for example if field is alpha then you could allow user to first select what range - i.e all records starting with A, or A-D, etc.

to put it 'mildly', i agree w/ evalesthy in " ... that number of records in a combo box would be unwieldly ... ".

A ComboBox is part of a USER INTERFACE, loosly translated to the thinggyyy which humans would be expected to actively use / manipulate / seletc items from and add / or add elements to. The 'average bear' (in my opinion) just isn't going to cope with the whole stack of hay lookng for your particular needly, so the concept of using the combobox as the universe of selection seems to be an un-likely vehicle to use.

Without a lot of additional information, I would not care to suggest a specific 'soloution' -or even an approach. The first thought from my perspective would be to review the design requirements and from there, the actual desing and down to the implementation details to arrive at a USER friendly aplication. THAT usually doesn't get a positive response in these fora, so perhaps that is enough for my contribution.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back