Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box Index Feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezyflo

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
US
Is there a way to set the properties to a combo box so that when the users enter a letter, it will cycle through all choices starting with that letter until they reach the one they want? I did do a search and found some information in the Visual Basic forums, I'm using Access XP and not too familiar with VB.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Do you mean you want it to Auto-Fill when a user types into the combo box?

Ex: Your combo box has 3 names:
- Ann, Amy, Brad, Brett

When the user moves to the Combo Box and starts typing "Brett" it looks like this:

B - user types in a "b"
Brad - Combo box displays first name starting with "b"
Bre - user then continues to type in this
Brett - Combo box displays first name with a "BRE"

If so that is already built in. You have to set your combo box properties "Limit to list" to Yes

HTH,

jbehrne

I do understand the auto fill feature, what I would like to do is when I type in "A", it will pull up the first item starting with "A" - Amy for instance, I would like to hit "A" again and have it pull up the the next item in line with "A" (Ann) and cycles through until I reach the one I want.

I have a database where I will be entering in permit types i.e. - building permits - deck, building permits - patio etc. Using the auto fill, I have pratically have to type in the whole word, or use the mouse to select what I want.

I just thought if it was possible to just hit "B" until it brought up the permit type I wanted - would be great!

Like on registration webpages, where you enter in your state, you enter in "M" and it cycles through all states with "M"s.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back