Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo box in form to display unmatched query

Status
Not open for further replies.

abradford

MIS
Oct 12, 2006
US
Hello,

Ok i know the structure of my DB is a bit "loose" but here is the deal:

I have several different user tables, all same structure, some have more/less info than others...I have created an unmatched query for each table, which compares the user table to a standard information table. Results display fine for each...Now what I am trying to do is to create a combo box on a form that will list the User Names, and once a user is selected, the form will display their already made unmatched query...hopefully in table format, or subform.

does this make sense?

thanks for the help.

What have you tried so far and where in your code are you stuck ?
I'd use an unbound combo in the header section of a continuous form and set the RecordSource property of this form in the AfterUpdate event procedure of the combo.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I have been trying to stay away from SQL as I am a bit rusty. But now have been looking at tackling this another way, perhaps playing with a union or inner join query? Should i go down this route?

I am not sure i am following your suggestion. Can I set the RecordSource property of the form to multiple queries?

Set the RecordSource property to the name of the query corresponding to the choice made in the combo.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

ok so hint to get me started...

Form!Formname!Combobox!Controlname.text.....close?

After record source on form, what should be contained in the combo box's after update?

Do you have a table with the user names ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

yes I have main user name table, which is linked to each users individual table by a one to many relationship. User Name to Name...

So, the RowSource property of the combo could be something like:
SELECT [User Name] FROM [your user table]

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Ok got that part, combo box is in the form header, displaying names from USER table. The recordsource of the form should be somthing noted above, referencing what is selected in the drop down...Now how would I incorporate displaying the unmatched queries in the form detail...

Given a user name can't you deduce the query name ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back