Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnp102

Technical User
Mar 22, 2004
US
I have combo box that is based off a table of names. I need the user to be able to select the name and just those records pull up. I have a query with the info in it linked to that combo box, but when I select a name nothing comes up. The problem that I am running into is that the name field looks like this...

doe, john

and it seems like the combo box will not recognize the name because of the comma. Is there a way to get around this without changing my data to not having a comma?

Thanks for the help in advance...

jnp102

r u using access 2000
cause I tried and did not find any problem.The name is being selected in the combo

Ensure your Name table has an ID for each person, and seperate the LastName and FirstName into different fields. Make a query based on the name information with:

ID
LastName (uncheck the show box)
FirstName (uncheck the show box)
and type the following into the Field box of a new query column- "Name: [LastName]", "[FirstName]

Create a new combo box and select the "Find a record..." option for the combo box. Base the combo on the query you just made, hide the key column. The names will display as "Doe, John" but will use the ID for as the relationship and for record selection. Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back