Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box (Don't show value in selection if already in use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartansFC

Programmer
Apr 1, 2009
GB
Hi

I'm trying to add a parking permit form to my database, each person is given a unique parking permit number which can be handed back in and then handed out to another person.
If a parking permit is already in use i don't want the combo box to show it, i can't think of a way to do it.

The steps are:

[ul]
[li]Main form[/li]
[li]User clicks "Add New Parking Permit[/li]
[li]a form pops up[/li]
[/ul]

I know how to do the above steps, it's the combo box where i get stuck

I have currently.

Code:
tblDropDownParkingPermitNumbers
lngParkingPermitNoID - Autonumber
strParkingPermitDesc - Short Text

Code:
tblParkingPermits
lngParkingPermitID - Autonumber
lngPeopleID - Foreign Key
lngParkingPermitID - Number

tblParkingPermits is the record source for frmParkingPermits

I did think of having a status "Standard Use" or "Expired or Cancelled"

In the combox selection on the parking permit form, have something like:

Code:
SELECT tblDropdownParkingPermitNumbers.lngParkingPermitNoID, tblDropdownParkingPermitNumbers.strParkingPermitDesc
FROM tblDropdownParkingPermitNumbers
WHERE (((Status)="Expired or Cancelled"))

The problem really is how do i assign a status to each parking permit number initially so that there all accessible

Thanks

Michael

Just guessing here, but you may want to have a Status table with something like:

[pre]
tblStatus
ID Description
0 Active
1 Available
2 Expired
3 Cancelled
4 ...[/pre]

And if you assign a Status to your PermitNo, it will be easy to retrieve what you want.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

I think you're right that i do need to add a status to each PermitNo but i'm still not sure how that would work or where do i add the status.

When a user is entering a new parking permit, they select the permit no via a combo box, then i somehow have to attach the status there

I'm so confused right now but i think i've worked out a solution

>When a user is entering a new parking permit, they select the permit no via a combo box

So, you do have a list of parking permits somewhere. And it looks to me that some would have a Status of 1 - Available, right? The ones not assigned to anybody. That would make sense since you probably have a limited number of parking permits that you can issue.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back